Parking lot repairs are very important when it comes to making your property aesthetically pleasing, safe and well maintained. With the harsh winters we can get in Canada, it’s a good idea to inspect your parking lot or driveway to assess any damage that may have taken place during the cold winter months. The freeze and thaw cycle can quickly take its toll on your surfaces, shortening their life span. With summer on the way and things like increased traffic flow, tourism and heat, we must make sure our property is well cared for, maintained, and ready for the busy months ahead.
Identifying the areas that need need fixing is simple, quick, and can save you lots of time in the long run. By doing this while the damage hasn’t expanded, you save money and avoid large repair projects later on. Remember, it is always best to do small, short monthly checkups rather than a large checkup at the end of the year only to discover you have a huge renovation on your hands.
We have compiled a list of things you can follow during your checkup. You can also contact Richmond Blacktop for a free quote – we will tell you how much your parking lot repairs will cost and get the job done quickly and efficiently. There is no need to stress about the summer months when you work with us!
Here is a list of things to keep in mind when assessing your parking lot for deterioration and damage:
- Evaluate the cleanliness of your parking lot – does it need to be swept of dirt and debris? Dirt and debris can quickly collect during the summer, freezing and hardening into the porous surface of the pavement. Water, snow and wind can bring about more dirt than usual.
- As you walk around your parking lot, are there areas that collect standing water? This is a sign of an uneven surface, potholes, alligator cracking and much more. Sometimes the problem can be bigger than you think – make sure to take note of it.
- If your protective sealcoating has began to fade from the elements, it is time to re-sealcoat. This will protect your surface from water, ice, sun, petroleum products, chemicals and so much more.
- If you notice that your parking lot striping/road markings have began to chip away and fade, you should consider re-striping it and freshening up. Low visibility of road markings can be a safety hazard, especially during busy summer months whether your parking lot is industrial or commercial.
- Take note of the drains throughout your parking lot. Have they began to sink into the paving? Have cracks formed around them? Take note of all of these things. Any abnormalities can be a sign of deterioration not only on the surface, but beneath the surface as well.
- Cracks can form during the winter, and if they are not taken care of, they can widen and get much worse during the summer. If there are cracks that are 1/4-inch to 1-inch wide, they can easily be patched by a professional.
- Find a professional, reputable paving contractor to work and consult with. Choosing the right contractor can make the world of a difference in the price tag, your experience and most importantly, the quality of the job.
Please do not hesitate to contact Richmond Blacktop should you need a consultation, a quote or simply have questions for us regarding your parking lot repairs. We have over 40 years of experience in the paving industry and guarantee a high quality job that gets done on time.